Saturday, April 24, 2021

Prechool: Weather

This week for preschool our theme was about all the different types of weather.

Tuesday Baylor started off by playing with some cars in sugar like they are driving in snow. She had fun with that for a little bit and then that led to drawing her name and different letters in the sugar and last and best for her was eating some of the sugar. :)
Then for art she painted an outside theme and then she glued on cotton ball clouds on. We talked about clouds and how they play a part in the weather. The top right picture is the face I got when I asked her to paint more than just some grass.... 😁
For music we played with the xylophone and I showed her what a scale is and then we sang some songs while she played it.
Then for learning time we talked about the rain. We first watched a YouTube video about rain and it's cycle. Then I had previously cut out all the pieces and she glued them on her paper, drew the rain, and then I asked her about her picture and I wrote it on the bottom. It says, "This is Baylor, Mommy, and Daddy. Baylor is holding kitty and I'm wearing a hat, a coat, and boots. We have umbrellas. We are jumping in muddy puddles. It's raining! Our clothes kept us dry and we had fun." (This was with my prompting with questions about the picture.)
We read a Bernstein Bear book about winter and read some other books before playing outside with chalk. We drew different kinds of weather and rainbows. It was a beautiful day!
Wednesday we started off by playing with this weather themed magnetic set that we have. She dressed each of the people for the appropriate weather they were in.
Then for art we created a weather chart.
We sang some songs for music and I focused on songs that she knew that talked about weather- Rain, Rain Go Away and Once There was a Snowman. Then we used the weather chart from art for learning time and I would point to one of the sections and she would have to pick out what clothes she would wear in that kind of weather. Some of them took some coaxing and me trying to explain since she always goes for a t-shirt or a dress.
I then helped her create a kite that she could run outside with for a little bit for our outdoor time. We ended our day with reading "Rain, Rain Go Away" and a few other books. I usually always pick out a book that goes with our theme and then she picks out a handful of books for me to read. Then she reads or plays on her own while I do my scripture reading. It works out great for us and is a nice quiet time of the day.
Thursday Baylor started off by washing some dishes.
Then for art I helped her create a pinwheel.
Then for music she wanted to play the piano while we sang our songs.
Our focus today was wind thus the pinwheel for art. For learning time we talked about the wind and what it felt like. I then gave her a straw and had her blow through it onto her hand so she could feel it. Next I had her blow through the straw to move a notecard across the table. We needed a bigger straw but she did do it after a few tries and some frustration. I had to get her to blow in the right spot but she sure was happy when she finally did it. Last we took our pinwheel outside but the problem was there wasn't much wind. We did go and see the tulip pinwheel that Nona has and spun it.
For our story time for our last day I read some poems about weather. It was a great way to end our week and sum up all the different kinds of weather we talked about.

No comments:

Post a Comment