Sunday, May 10, 2020

Under the Sea Week

 This week has been a little different now that her teacher is posting lessons every day to do online. I love that Paige is now progressing with learning and moving on from review which is what I felt I was doing with her especially in math. Her teacher posts a math lesson and a reading lesson that she does every day and since Paige wanted to continue with the themes I have been supplementing with fun more simple things to do in math and reading and of course still doing art projects.

Monday- for our math she did this fun count and color with her theme of under the sea.
Then we did a watercolor jellyfish- Baylor even drew the face on hers by herself.
 Paige's writing for Monday was how to writing. She wrote the steps on how to go fishing. "First you grab a fishing pole and put some worms on the hook for the fish. Next, you get the fishing pole and get where you want to sit/stand and cast the line out and wait. After that, you wait and wait and wait for the fish to pull and when it does pull the fishing pole towards you and bring the line in! Now, you see what fish you got and take it off the line and either put it back in the water or keep it! And that's how to go fishing! The End."
 Then we did a science experiment about salt water. We had 4 cups of water- our control (just a cup of water), one with salt water, one with sugar water, and one with baking soda water. She guessed which ones she thought the bead would float in and we briefly talked about how salt water affects the density and that's why the bead floats. 
 Tuesday her math on her computer took her a little bit longer and the math I had her doing was adding/subtracting 2 digit numbers and she didn't want to do more of that so we just skipped it for the day. Then for art we painted fish with celery sticks to make their scales.
 Then for writing she did journal writing about her favorite ocean animal- " My favorite ocean animal is sea anemone and sea horses because sea anemones you can poke and are squishy and spray water. I like sea horses because they are cool and super pretty!" 
 She loved her P.E. assignment this week that her P.E. teacher posted to her computer. It was a video of would you rather- 2 pictures would pop up (one example was a box of crayons or a box of markers) and then you would pick which one you like and then after that whichever side you picked a video of an exercise would show up and you would have to do that exercise for 25 seconds. She did the video 4 times this week and Nate even joined her most of the time.
 Wednesday's computer work- listening to her math lesson and then she preferred to do her work sitting at the table and Baylor even did some of her own school work.
Wednesday's math for our theme was this count and graph worksheet- you can tell that she was done doing math and ready for art since usually she would color it but she just wanted to do it quick and get it over with. :)
 Then for art they made jellyfish sun catchers. We used contact paper and the girls put cut up squares of tissue paper in it and then for the tentacles we taped some yarn to the bottom. They turned out super cute and looked great in the window.
 She wanted to do her P.E. video again today and Dad and Nona joined her.
For writing I had to write a narrative with the prompt: What I would do with a mermaid under the sea? She wanted to type it on her computer and this is what she wrote: "Today I went to the sea with my sister, Baylor and parents. We brought swimming suits, pails and shovels, floaties, goggles, towels, sun umbrella, drinks, lunch, and sun screen. First, we ate lunch and lemonade. Next, we dug in the sand and made a hug sand castle! After that, we got to play in the water! Yay! We got on the floaties and rode on the humongous waves! They were SOOO big and it was awesome! then I got my goggles and Baylor got her goggles and I went under the water and Baylor road on the floatie watching me. I went super deep and I saw a mermaid looking right at me and she said want to be friends? I nodded yes because I couldn't talk. She said my name is Maya and she called for her sister. She came up and said him my name is May and me and Maya are twin sisters. I pointed up so I could talk. They said they can be under water or above water and they have a fairy that can make them have legs. So they got the fairy and got legs. When we were all out of the water I said my name is Paige and this is my sister, Baylor. And then we all became best friends."
For cooking, Paige made bread sticks for dinner.
 Thursday was another day where she decided to forgo adding and subtracting 2 digit numbers and just do her online math. I will have to rethink about what I choose to do for the themed activities for math. For art, they made puffer fish with fork painting.
 For writing, she did a journal entry with the prompt: It would be __________ to be a fish because _____. She wrote "It would be cool to be a fish because I could find the cool things and treasure in the water." She had a music assignment from her music teacher on her computer that we did together. It was interesting and I thought a little over the heads for kindergarten to 2nd graders but we did it together and Paige said that she likes my music lessons better and just wants to learn to play the piano. Maybe one of these days she will have better piano lessons than what I can give her but for now we will keep it simple and just instill a love of music.
 Friday she did these word problems about sea creatures along with her last math lesson on her computer for the week. This week she was learning how to add 3 digit numbers. She has picked it up pretty quick and sometimes the hardest part for me is telling her to show her work since she doesn't want to because she already knows that answer but I tell her that it is important so that her teacher knows that she is understanding what is being taught.
 For art they made these cute octopus out of toilet paper rolls. Baylor even drew the cute little smile on hers.
 Then for writing she did opinion writing and she struggled with this one because she didn't know which one to pick, so she wrote: "In my opinion, both are better because they are both awesome. I like dolphins because they jump and sea turtles because they hide."
 For her reading on her computer this week she has been learning all about penguins. She has read facts and information about them and answered lots of questions to check her comprehension of the reading. Then on Friday the assignment was to watch this YouTube video of how to draw a penguin so Paige and I did it together. They both turned out really good!
It was a fun week and Paige is excited about next week's theme: Rainbows!

No comments:

Post a Comment