Sunday, May 24, 2020

Jungle Week

 This week was jungle week which really turned into jungle animal week (and even some of the projects we did weren't necessarily jungle animals... oh well). It was a fun and simple week!

Monday- While Paige did her math from her teacher on her computer, Baylor built with blocks and worked on some puzzles (a constant lately!). This week Paige is continuing to add 3 digit numbers but this week they added word problems which Paige loves.
Since word problems were on Paige's mind, she did her jungle math for Monday and created some of her own word problems for some of the problems that she did.
 For art they created Elmer the elephant with sponge painting.
 Then for writing we watching a video about jungles and jungle animals and Paige picked 3 or 4 facts that she learned about to write an informative paragraph. It says, "Here are some facts about jungle animals. All of the great apes lives in the jungle including the gorillas, bonobo, chimpanzee, and the dignified orangutan. There are animals great and small but the tiger is the real king of the jungle. Less than 300 rare Asiatic lions live in the Gir jungle in India and the other 20,000 live on the grassy plains of the African savanna not in the jungle. So, that is all about jungle animals!"
 Then we switched cooking to Mondays since often we make treats for cooking and that way whatever we make can be our Family Home Evening treat verse making 2 treats during the week. So this week we made turtles which is a chocolate cake like waffle with frosting. Paige wanted to add the chocolate chips for eyes. I learned the recipe when I was a young girl for activity days. I haven't made them in a long time and the whole family enjoyed them!
 Tuesday's start of the day was Baylor coming down like this saying she was ready for school and then while Paige did her math, Baylor did puzzles like always. And this picture looks like she sits there and does it by herself which is not true. She is at a stage where she constantly wants someone by her when she is doing something. She is always saying "come here" or "look mom". 
 Paige's jungle math for Tuesday- dot to dot.
 For art, it was a giraffe and the dots were painting fingerprints.
 Then for writing, Paige wrote in her journal. It says, "If I were as big as an elephant, I would reach every thing with my hands and arms with how big I am. I also can give piggy back rides and I could help get things."
 For P.E. the girls did the workout on Paige's computer together. I love these pictures and I loved watching Baylor look at the video and then Paige to see how to do each workout. 
Wednesday's math on her computer and then a jungle pattern worksheet.
For art, they did hand print flamingos (not really a jungle animal but it was a craft that Paige saw and wanted to do). This one was a little advanced for Baylor and tested my patience helping her since she wanted to do it by herself. Once I got the flamingos glued on, I let her pick out the sequins she wanted to decorate it with and then she would point to where I would put some glue and then she would put them on.
For writing, Paige wrote a narrative about a jungle adventure. It reads, " Once upon a time there was a little girl named Moronica and she was an explorer in a jungle (well actually her backyard that has lots of trees) and she was looking for a wild creature named Jax (her stuffed animal). Moronica said, "Jax I will save you from the wild!" And she looked and looked for where her mother hid him! She found him in a tree with something else. She was curious what is was. It popped out and it was a giraffe! The giraffe said, "Hi, I'm Adrianna but you can can me Adria. What is your name?" I said, "My name is Moronica. Everyone in my family calls me Morah though." I said, "Adria, do you want to come to my house and play?" She said, "Yes!" And we played all day long!
Then for science we did 2 different activities.

First we talked about some different giraffe facts and we did a giraffe science experiment. We made "giraffe" skin and I told Paige about capillary action (the movement of a liquid through another material) and how in this experiment you can see this in action. 
You use water colors to paint on paper towels. You can see the water colors spread and move through the paper towel which is pretty cool. It was a fun little project that we all had fun doing.
Paige did a colorful giraffe skin, Baylor just had fun painting, and I tried doing a giraffe skin with the normal giraffe colors.
Then the second experiment is called elephant toothpaste. You mix hydrogen peroxide, dish soap, and food coloring in a bottle. Then you mix some yeast and water and let it start to foam and then pour it into the bottle. You get this thick colored foam the pours out of the water for quite awhile and kind of looks like toothpaste.
The second time we did it, we didn't mix the food coloring in so much and Paige just dripped a drop of each color down the sides of the bottle so when the mixture foamed out it looked even more like toothpaste with the different streaks of color.
Thursday's jungle math- color by number with some math equations.
Then for art they did hand print monkeys. 
I helped Baylor do her monkey and then I knew that she would want to paint more. So I gave her a different piece of paper and she was content for quite awhile painting her hand quite thoroughly and occasionally putting a hand print on her paper.
Two cute monkeys swinging on some vines.
Thursday's writing was a journal entry. This answer was not what I expected her to write but was quite creative. She wrote, "Instead of black and white stripes, zebras should have money everywhere and you can take it off."
Friday's math was some jungle word problems that I came up with.
Then for art, they did snakes with Q-tip painting and paper plates.
Finished project!
This week for her reading (ELA) on her computer she read a story and did comprehension activities about nature outside especially in your own neighborhood. One activity she wrote about the animals and leaves/flowers she had seen in her own back yard. For Friday, we got to do another drawing which I have come to love and Nate even joined us this time.We watched the video together and each drew kites in the sky. (Nate's drawing, Paige's drawing, and my drawing)
Then for her writing on Friday she did opinion writing. Would you rather ride an elephant or a giraffe? "I would want to ride a giraffe because I could sit on it's head and slide down it's big neck!!!"
We didn't get around to sewing on Friday so we did it on Saturday. Paige wanted to sew pillows for her dolls. She cut them out and then I helped push the pedal and sew the first one. The second one I let her do by herself. She was hesitant about it but did great. She then stuffed them and then I did the sewing around the outside.
Her dolls are being spoiled with all these sewing projects!
Paige even got a postcard from her teacher at the end of the week. That was so kind of her teacher and it really made Paige's day!
Next week is another theme that Paige is really looking forward to: Arts & Crafts Week

No comments:

Post a Comment