Saturday, October 16, 2021

Preschool: My Five Senses

This week was a fun one! We started our first day off with some coloring and also playing I-Spy. First I told her what her 5 senses were and I asked her what each of them does. She definitely used all of her senses this week. With I-Spy I told her that we are using our eyes in that game and the sense of sight.
Then for art she did tracing of some random objects we had laying around the house and then I took the objects off her paper and mixed them up and had her put the right object on the right tracing like a puzzle. I told her she was using her sense of touch to trace and her sense of sight to match them up again.
Then for music I let her play her little toy piano while we sang some songs. Paige has taught her how to play "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on it and she was so proud to be able to play it while I sang.
For learning time we first played with Mr. Potato head. We talked about the different senses as we put the different pieces on our potato bodies.
Then we used all of our senses in exploring marshmallows. First we looked at them and I asked her what color it was and how she could see lines in them. We then tried listening to them to see if they had any sound for our sense of hearing. Then we used our sense of touch and felt them and decided they were squishy and I broke one apart and let her feel how it is sticky on the inside. We then used our sense of smell and she said they smell like marshmallows. :) I said that means they smell sweet. And last of course we used our sense of taste!
We had some rainy days and I didn't feel the greatest this week so our outdoor time was indoors. Baylor wanted to "skate" with socks and then timed herself running back and forth. The cutest thing was after running a few laps she felt her heart and said remember when you go fast your heart goes faster. She must be picking up on a few things I teach her in preschool. :)
The second day of preschool we started with some Lego building. This was fun to do with her and see her creativeness come out in building a home for one of the Lego characters.
Before we were done with Legos I wanted to test her sense of touch and I put a blindfold on her to see if she could build a tower by just feeling the Legos. She did is surprisingly fast and was awesome at it.
Then for art I helped her make some glue shapes and then she sprinkled Jell-O powder on the wet glue. She used her sense of sight to see how the powder changed colors from a light pink to a red when it hit the wet glue and also her sense of smell to smell the sweet raspberry powder
For music we learned a little poem and it went like this: "Let your hands go clap, clap, clap. Let your fingers go snap, snap, snap. Let your lips go very round. But do not make a sound. Shh!" We talked about how she used her ears to listen to the sounds her body was making. Then we also sang some finger play songs- "Open Shut Them" & "5 Little Ducks".
For learning time we first tested her sense of smell. I put the blindfold back on her and held under her nose different things to see if she could guess them. She guessed vanilla, peanut butter, and cinnamon right off. Her response for cocoa powder made me laugh. She said brownies and she wasn't quite sure what the peppermint extract was. Then we had different snacks and she used her sense of hearing to decide whether the snack was quiet or loud when she ate them.
For story time we read our collection of "That's Not My..." books so she could feel the different pages.
Our last day we started off with a sorting game. I had 6 objects and each of them had a pair. She had to divided them up into the egg carton with the matching pair. This was super easy for her. Another thing we did is when she picked up an object we would feel it and decide whether it was smooth or bumpy and then hit it on the table to see what kind of sound it made.
For art she did finger painting for her sense of touch and sight.
For music we sang some nursery rhyme songs. Then for learning time we did a popcorn experiment using our senses. We first listened for the popcorn to pop in the microwave. Then we smelled it once I put it in a bowl. We then felt and looked at them before tasting it.
Our last thing was story time and I picked a couple of her favorite books and had her turn her back. I would start to read them and see if she could guess what book it was. She was using her sense of hearing and guessed very quickly. She then wanted a turn and she grabbed some book and since she can't read, she had me reach behind me and feel the book to see if I could guess them. She is pretty smart!

What a fun week!

No comments:

Post a Comment