Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Preschool: Music

We started our preschool week off with Baylor washing her dishes. There is something about water and playing in it that she absolutely loves like most kids her age.
Since our theme for the week was music, for art we listened to Beethoven while we did some water color painting.
Then for music time I had printed off some big flowers to lay on the floor in a circle. I played a song on my phone and when I stopped the music, she had to pick up the flower she was on. On the back of the flowers was doing some sort of movement or singing a song. She enjoyed this though it took some reminding to listen to the music for when it stops. She was happy jumping from flower to flower and it was even more of a challenge in her mind when flowers were taken away to be able to jump to the next flower if there was a big gap.
Then for learning time I started with a cup and a pitcher of water. I poured a little bit of water in the cup and had to gently hit it with a spoon. Then I would slowly add water and she would hit the cup after each time to see if the sound was different and if it was higher or lower. Then we got four different cups that were filled at different levels. I let her color the water with food coloring and then let her hit the cups to hear the different sounds and to make songs with it. We sang a couple of songs while she played the cups. This week afterwards I would read her a small pile of books and then let her read. I didn't really have any structured outside time this week but after Paige was done with school, they would play together and often it was outside if it was nice.
Wednesday she started her preschool day off with puzzles.
Then for art we created a shaker. We used a paper towel roll and I let her color it with markers and decorated with washi tape and stickers. Then she helped me staple one end and she filled it with popcorn seeds before stapling the other end. She made quite the mess with the seeds on the floor and was happy to sweep up and help clean up her mess.
For music we sang songs while she used the shaker. She got bored quickly with just singing so I ended up singing "If You're Happy and You Know It" and I would tell her different things to do with the shaker- shake it up high, down long, spin, dance, and jump with it.
Going along with the popcorn theme, for learning time we talked more about sound by popping some popcorn. We did it on the stovetop instead of the microwave so she could see the process of the seeds becoming the popcorn. We listened to the sound of the popping and she helped when she could and then we had a delicious treat of popcorn before reading some books.
Thursday we started off doing stamps. Since it was Nona's birthday I had her stamp a birthday card for her.
Then for art we created a bean tambourine. She put some pinto beans in between two paper plates and then we stapled and taped around the edges. She then decorated her tambourine with some dot markers.
Then we combined our learning and music time for the day. I got two dice. One dice was the song and the other was how we would sing the song. She enjoyed having her kitty roll the dices for her. I included using the shaker and tambourine in a way to sing one of the songs. It was a fun way to end our music week.

No comments:

Post a Comment