Monday, October 7, 2013

In Memory of Lois Aileen Matson Peterson

I am so grateful for the example my Grandma Peterson was to me. She was always very supportive and loving. She cared and worried about all of her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. She was always so happy and positive. She was one amazing lady that will always be a part of my life.
I have been so blessed to have all four of my grandparents be a major part of my life and have lived as long as they have. They all mean so much to me and are amazing examples to me. It was very difficult to see my grandma pass away. I am very glad that I was in Idaho to see her in her last few days. The hardest thing for me was seeing my grandpa cry at the hospital by her bedside. I have never seen grandpa cry but I can see the love that they shared. I know that my grandpa will miss her but he knows that they will be together again someday.
Nate took this picture of the sunset the day that my grandma died and I think this is symbolic of the light that my grandma shared with everyone around her.
I wanted to share some of the memories that I have of my grandma and some more things that I learned about her from the funeral.
  • My grandma was always worried about us playing in the ditch but how we loved playing in the water and catching water skippers.
  • We loved playing outside. She had the biggest yard and there was so much to explore and our imaginations could run wild. Some of the older cousins even built a tree house that we loved to spend time in.
  • My grandma always let us be kids and we played dress-up, put on make-up, and played house.
  • There was lots of girl cousins and we had many sleep over parties and I remember one time modeling our pjs down the stairs.
  • My grandma could grow anything and she always had so many flowers and also grew tons of raspberries. My cousin and I would often pick some raspberries and make a raspberry shake to enjoy. Every year we would tie buckets around our wastes and help pick flat after flat of raspberries and enjoy them along with raspberry jam for the rest of the year.
  • My grandma was also an amazing cook. She always had the most delicious cookies in the cookie jar and always had delicious homemade bread to devour.
  • Other things I enjoyed doing growing up was type on her typewriter and play with her stamps and make beautiful "works of art".
  • Once I got to college I had a few sewing classes and grandma would always let me come and "shop" at her fabric store. She always had so much fabric that was so beautiful and any color you could think of.
  • Every once in a while I would get to decorate a wooden bunny that she had with coordinating fabric and ribbon for each holiday.
  • One thing that I learned that the funeral is that my grandma really didn't like animals but since she had a daughter and a husband that loved animals she had them and took care of them because she loved her family.
  • The next thing I learned about my grandma is that she believed that the best calling in the church is the one you are currently holding. This is a great example of me of making the most out of each calling that I have and striving to do my best.
  • Another thing that I thought was really neat was that right now I have a cousin on a mission and the day that my grandma he gave out like 25 copies of the Book of Mormon and had an amazing day on his mission. I know that my grandma is helping and watching out for all of her family as she watches us from above.
My grandma's funeral was on Friday, October 4th. It was a beautiful funeral and was a wonderful tribute to an amazing mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother. There was lots of tears shed along with laughter. My grandma led an amazing life and was an example to all those around her especially to her family.

What a posterity my grandma has!

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful memories you have of your grandma! Makes me want to become that type of grandma for my own grandchildren someday!

    ReplyDelete