Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Supermom Activity Days

 I love, LOVE my calling. I am the an activity day leader in our ward which means I do two activities a month with the girls that are ages 8-11. It is so much fun to do and I love doing all the activities with the girls. We have a great group of girls who are very active and outgoing. We usually do activities based on the Faith in God requirements but for this past month we have been working on our mother/daughter activity. We decided that we wanted to do a supermom theme and for both activities in April I recorded the girls doing different skits. We made a list of things that their moms do that make them supermoms and I brought a whole bunch of props. For each skit one girl was the supermom and the other one or two were the kids. They had a lot of fun and were very silly. I edited it all and complied them all together. After the skits in the video each girl got to say to their moms why they were supermoms and happy mother's day. The video was simple but a lot of fun to do.

I did this cute invitation for the special night.
We had the main event and I have to thank Anna for helping me decorate. We went in the morning and we set up tables, chairs, and all sorts of decorations. For the tables I used red and blue tablecloths with yellow streamers twisted down the center with kisses and little superhero logo cutouts. I hung up the backdrop I made that was also used for the filming of the video. We hung up streamers and balloons and I put superhero logos and such all over the room. I loved seeing the girls reactions when they walked into the transformed room for the first time.
The first activity was an M&M game that the other leader came up with.
 The girls and moms seeing the finished video for the first time. It was so much fun seeing their reactions. The girls were slightly embarrassed but were also super excited when it was their part. I also burned a video for each of the girls to take home which they loved. One mom even told me the following Sunday that her daughter had already watched it six times. I am glad they liked it. It took a lot of time but it was well worth it.
 Then each girl got a paper that said "My Mom" and each mom got a paper that said "My Girl". They all got crayons and got to write what they like or appreciate about the other person. It was to build self-esteem but also a chance for the girls to color and be crafty which they love to do.
 Then we had dinner. Thanks Margaret for helping with all the prep work! We had quite the spread but it was very good. The other leader made some chicken salad sandwiches and I made cheeseburger soup, a green salad, some fruit cones, and some dessert. There was plenty of food but it was all delicious and was nice to sit and visit.

The sign on the table says "Who needs Superheroes when you have Mom!"
 I did most of the baking the day before and it all turned out great.
Some of the girls had a hard time getting the fruit out of the chocolate-covered cones.
 The night ended with the girl's gifts to their moms. It was such a fun night. I loved planning and preparing for it and it all turned out so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment