Sunday, December 20, 2020

Drive Thru Nativity

Our ward did a drive thru Nativity on Friday and I had the opportunity to help set it up and be a part of an amazing committee to make this vision come to life. It all started about 3 weeks ago when I was substituting for our young women president and went to Bishop Council Meeting. The Relief Society President came with the idea of doing a drive thru Nativity for our ward and I thought it was a great idea and that I would be willing to help. The two of us together came up with what we wanted and it was so much fun to see our ideas come together and to create this wonderful event. 

Here's the amazing invitation that was created.
The set up was a little bit tricky and took longer than we wanted because we had to deal with wind that kept blowing over the canopies. We ended up having to move the canopies a lot closer to the church building in order to be able to stake them into the dirt and use trees to stabilize them. We decided that we wouldn't have a lot of talking parts since we weren't sure how many people would come and we didn't want any back up on the road. So I painted scripture signs that followed the story of the Christ Child that they could read as they drove from station to station.

The first stop was this talented young lady singing some Christmas hymns and the first scripture sign about a decree going out which led to Joseph and Mary going to Bethlehem. 
The next station was the wise men. We had to be careful because of Covid and make sure those that would be standing together were from the same household. These wise men were awesome. They had a little thing to say about seeking the Christ Child and were really witty and fun about it. They made it fun but also really special. For this station I created the star out of some cardboard, had the scripture sign about the wise men, and made the three gifts for display. 
The next stop was the full inn. I had so much fun painting and creating this. Nate was able to get a mattress box from a store for free and so I just had to get a little bit of paint and created this by seeing some picture ideas online and put together my own scene in my head. I absolutely loved the creative process with this one and loved having this idea in my head and seeing it turn out just as I imagined. Dale was also kind enough to make a stand for me and then I had the scripture sign about the inn being full to finish up this stop.
Next stop was the shepherds and angels. Another couple in our committee created this station and also the Nativity scene. For this one the only things I had to do was create the scripture signs. It had a scripture about the shepherds abiding in the fields and also what the angel said to the shepherds. Paige and Baylor really liked this stop since they recognized the shepherds and angels. :) Eliza was a very cute angel and Brett had fun "feeding" their sheep some hay. They even had some names for their sheep and one was Leroy.
This was the stop right before the nativity scene. I had this idea as I was reading the scripture account and deciding what I wanted people to read as they were driving through. We came up with the theme of "Seek Him" and the things the shepherds did as they went to seek the Christ Child inspired me to have these sayings based off the scriptures. I wanted people to have some questions to ask themselves towards the end that were more inward and helped them think about Christ in their own lives.
Then was the amazing Nativity. This amazing stable and manger were built and it looked just picture perfect. I had the scripture sign that I had created for this but I just loved driving past this scene. It was so peaceful and was absolutely stunning.
The last stop was our Bishop handing out candy canes and this cute little handout about the legend of the candy cane. It was a sweet little way to end the drive thru. I loved seeing this vision that our committee discussed come to life in such a perfect way. The Relief Society president did so amazing at leading this and making sure we had all the canopies, lights, people to direct traffic, all the amazing costumes, the music, and much more. We had an awesome little committee and help from others in set up and take down that made the event possible and it turned out just as we imagined.
I am so grateful that I got to be a part of this. We haven't had that many ward events this year due to Covid so this was a nice way to end the year and I loved helping and use my creativity and have a project that brought me such joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment